February 25, 2010

The Ballerina Sweater Take One: Fail.

My daughter, who is three and a half, is taking a dance class and going through a phase where she does not want to wear long sleeves. Since it is winter, and cold in the dance studio, it seemed reasonable to knit a ballet wrap around sweater. I had some beautiful pink Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino yarn just calling my name, so I began to design. Measurements were made from both a well fitted sweater, and my daughter's body. A gauge swatch was made, and all calculations complete. Excited to make something beautiful for a loved one, I began to knit. A month later, all the pieces were complete.




As I began to assemble the sweater I realized something had gone terribly wrong. When put together, it just wasn't right.



I double checked the measurements, the gauge, the calculations, but much to my disappointment, the error could not be found. Bummed and discouraged, the entire work was taken apart, and reduced once again to beautiful balls of yarn.

A good friend of mine gave me a book, Adorable Knits for Tots by Zoƫ Mellor, that has a pattern for a ballerina wrap, and the process has begun again. Lets hope for a happier ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment