February 26, 2010

Sweet Potato and Brown Rice Curry

I love curried sweet potatoes.  It is ridiculous, actually,  how much I enjoy eating sweet potatoes prepared this way.  I could eat them every day, and get massive cravings on a regular basis.  However, it recently occurred to me that I may be the only on in my family who feels this way.  So, yesterday when the latest attack came upon me, I decided to not subject my family to my craving, and prepared this amazing dish from items that were already in my fridge.  It was quick, delicious, healthy, and dare I say, vegan. 

Curried Sweet Potatoes and Brown Rice

1 medium sweet potato, skinned and chopped
1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp curry paste (I use Patak's Mild Curry Paste)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sweet peas
1/4 cup green lentils, cooked and drained
1/4 cup black beans, cooked and drained
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium skillet heat olive oil and add the onion.  Let the onions cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently until they begin to soften.  Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet and brown.  Mix in the curry paste and allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes.  Add water to the skillet, mix, put on a lid,  and allow the potatoes to simmer for about 5 minutes or until soft.  Remove lid, and mix in the remaining ingredients.  Cook over medium heat until all ingredients are warm



.

No comments:

Post a Comment