March 3, 2010

Quick and Easy Knit Wash Cloth: Perfect Beginner Project

It is starting to feel as if the yarn for the ballerina sweater is cursed.  First there was the entire rip it out mishap, followed by me leaving my pattern at my daughter's dance class last weekend.   So to take my mind off the woes, I started some quick and easy wash cloths.  These are possibly the best beginning projects for aspiring knitters.    Scarves are traditionally the first things people learn to knit, but now that I am making these wash cloths, it seems as if they should be the A-list project for beginners.  Like scarves, they are made of simple beginning stitches, however they are much smaller, thus knit up quite quickly.   The commitment to the project is less and the sense of accomplishment much greater.  Also, unlike scarves, there is more opportunity to then progress one's knitting skills by slightly varying the pattern, and still getting all the above mentioned perks. 

Then, there are all the benefits the finished project has to offer.  They are so diverse and wonderful for having around the house for dishes, bodies, dusting, and they make fantastic gifts.  A good friend of mine once gave me a gift basket with a few of these, some dish soap, bathroom soap, and a candle.  It was a great gift.

My current project is being worked from Paton's Grace cotton yarn on US size 5 needles.  I started by casting on 40 stitches, then started working in garter stitch (knit all stitches on both sides of the work).  After working 72 rows I had 6 inch square. 

 

Weave in ends and voilà, a beautiful wash cloth.




No comments:

Post a Comment